Granite Maintenance Tips
At Absolute, we often receive questions from our customers on how to maintain their granite countertops. Therefore, we decided to compile a list of granite countertop maintenance tips for our customers.
10 Granite Countertop Maintenance Tips
- Clean surfaces regularly with water and a small amount of mild soap, such as dish detergent, or neutral pH products. Never use cleaning solutions containing ammonia, bleach, lemon, or vinegar.
- Always use a soft, clean sponge or cloth to wipe down granite surfaces. Consider keeping a sponge specifically for using on your countertops.
- Blot up spills immediately using a damp sponge. Be sure to dry area completely with a soft cloth.
- Avoid abrasive cleansers, such as baking soda or using scouring pads, as they will damage a natural stone surface.
- Always place coasters under glasses, bottles and cans to prevent water stains. Liquids such as wine and juice contain natural acids that can mar surfaces.
- Using placemats while dining will help prevent damage from dropped silverware and scratches from plates.
- Do NOT place hot pans, plates or cookware directly on granite surfaces. Use trivets to prevent scuff marks and a possible crack occurring due to the rapid rise in temperature.
- Store products such as perfumes, colognes, nail products, creams and lotions in a cabinet or on a shelf. Spills and leaks from these products are often overlooked and can stain your granite.
- Never cut anything directly on your new granite countertops. Granite is harder than your stainless steel knives and this will dull them very quickly. Always use a wooden or plastic cutting board.
- Reseal your granite countertops when water droplets no longer bead on the surface. We recommend Miracle 511 Impregnator. You can buy it on Amazon here.
If you have any questions or would like additional info on maintaining granite countertops we invite you to contact us today.
Contact Us Today
Give us a call (314) 733-0123 or fill out our Quick Bid Request form for a free proposal.